This dish is oh so delicious and nourishing!
There's enough to make great "planned-overs" for another meal
and freezes well for a night when you don't feel like cooking.
Pair it with an arugula or mixed green salad
and you will have a wonderful meal.
This recipe is dedicated to the wonderful clients of Ceres Community Project
especially to: A, E, HB, J, & M ❤️
Roasted Veggie Lasagna
A recipe from Mark Hyman, MD
Please use organic!
Ingredients for ricotta “cheese”
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 1/4 cup of warm water
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
Ingredients for lasagna
- 1 small eggplant, very thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 zucchini, very thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 yellow summer squash, very thinly sliced lengthwise (substitute extra eggplant, zucchini, or bell pepper when squash is not in season)
- 1 bell pepper (any color), seeded and cut into large squares
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups Ricotta “cheese”
- 1 large omega-3 egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes (BPA-free can)
Make the ricotta cheese: Soak the cashews in a bowl of hot water for at least 1 hour at room temperature or up to 24 hours in the refrigerator.
Drain the cashews and place them in a food processor, along with the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and 1/4 cup of water. Process the ingredients until a smooth paste forms; you may need to add a bit more water, depending on how long you soaked the cashews.
Preheat the oven to 400°F. In a large bowl, combine the eggplant, zucchini, summer squash and bell pepper with the oil and salt and toss well. Spread the vegetables in a single layer on two baking sheets and roast until they start to brown and caramelize around the edges, 20 to 25 minutes, rotating the sheets half-way through the cooking time.
Remove the baking sheets from the oven and set them aside to cool. Lower the oven temperature to 350°F. While the vegetables are cooling, whisk together the “cheese,” egg, oregano and black pepper in a medium bowl. Spread one-fourth of the mixture in the bottom of a 9-inch square glass baking dish, then spoon 1/2 cup of the crushed tomatoes on top. Cover the tomatoes with a layer of one of the types of vegetables. Continue to layer the remaining “cheese,” tomatoes and vegetables until everything is used up, topping off with the tomatoes.
Bake the lasagna for 30 minutes. allow it to cool for 5 minutes before serving. .